Understanding how insurance works: A case study about Omar
Students read about how insurance works, then review a case study to see how insurance choices can affect personal finances for a young adult in the big city.
When you purchase insurance, you are transferring financial risk from yourself to an insurance company.
- What is the main benefit of choosing to purchase insurance?
- How do the insurance company and the policyholder share risks and costs?
- Understand how insurance works
- Apply insurance policy specifics to a case study to evaluate costs and benefits
What students will do
- Read about how the insurance process works and discover what roles the insurance company and the policyholders play.
- Review information about specific types of insurance policy coverage and costs.
- Evaluate a case study to see how one policyholder’s insurance choices impacted him financially.
- Write an advice email about the value of insurance in that policyholder’s life.