Exploring careers in your community
Students learn about careers that are available in their community by interviewing family members, friends, or other trusted adults to learn about the work they do.
Talking to adults about their careers can help you learn about different occupations and career options in your community.
- What kinds of careers do people in your community have?
- What kind of education or training do some common local careers require?
- Learn about local careers by interviewing adults in the community
- Reflect on future career options
What students will do
- Interview one or two adults in the community about their careers and what they had to do to get their current jobs.
- Identify different companies and careers in their community.
- Help create a bar graph that organizes their interviewees’ jobs into career categories.
Note: Please remember to consider your students’ accommodations and special needs to ensure that all students are able to participate in a meaningful way.