1. You can receive the Child Tax Credit even if you had no earned income in 2019 or 2020.
2. If you don’t typically file your taxes, you need to file your 2020 taxes or register with the IRS to receive your money.
If you don’t normally file your taxes because of your income and didn’t provide information to the IRS to receive your Economic Impact Payment, you can use to receive your monthly Child Tax Credit. The tool is mobile friendly and available in English and Spanish.
3. You will automatically receive half your credit amount in monthly payments from July to December and the other half when you file your taxes in 2022.
4. When providing banking information to the IRS to receive your payment, you may be able to have it added to an existing prepaid card.
Check with your prepaid card provider to find out if there is an account and routing number you can use.
5. Watch out for scams and frauds.
The IRS will never contact you to ask for your personal information by phone, email, or text, and you will never have to pay anyone to receive your money.