Exploring the minimum wage
Students conduct research on a U.S. Department of Labor webpage to learn about the minimum wage and some laws affecting workers.
Minimum wage laws set the lowest hourly rate a person can earn doing a specific eligible job.
- What is the minimum wage?
- What protections does the government provide for workers’ earnings?
- Become familiar with federal minimum wage laws
- Recognize specific wage laws that apply to young people
What students will do
- Read a poster about the federal minimum wage and other pay issues.
- Answer reading comprehension questions.
- Do Internet research to determine how their state’s minimum wage compares to the federal minimum wage.
Note: Please remember to consider your students’ accommodations and special needs to ensure that all students are able to participate in a meaningful way.