Exploring the minimum wage
Students research U.S. Department of Labor web resources to learn about the minimum wage and some laws affecting workers.
Minimum wage laws set the lowest hourly rate a person can earn doing a specific eligible job.
- What is the minimum wage?
- What protections does the government provide for workers’ earnings?
- Become familiar with federal minimum wage laws
- Recognize specific wage laws that apply to young people
What students will do
- Read a poster about the federal minimum wage and other pay issues.
- Answer reading comprehension questions.
- Do Internet research to determine how their state’s minimum wage compares to the federal minimum wage.
Exploring minimum wage (guide)
Exploring minimum wage (worksheet)
Note: Please remember to consider your students’ accommodations and special needs to ensure that all students are able to participate in a meaningful way.