I lost my job and can’t make my mortgage loan payments. What can I do?

If you’re unemployed, there are federal programs – Home Affordable Unemployment Program or the Hardest Hit Fund – that are designed to help homeowners who have lost their jobs and can't afford their mortgage. The deadline to apply for assistance under the Home Affordable Unemployment Program is December 30, 2016. The deadlines to apply for assistance under the Hardest Hit Fund programs vary by state. 

Foreclosure prevention counseling and homeless counseling services are available free of charge through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)'s Housing Counseling Program.


Find out if you qualify for one of these programs or what other options you might have by calling the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected to a HUD-approved housing counselor today. You can also use the CFPB's "Find a Counselor" tool to get a list of U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved counseling agencies in your area.


Use the CFPB's checklist for more information on how to avoid foreclosure on your home loan. 

If you are facing imminent foreclosure or have been served with legal papers, you may also need to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website.

Ask CFPB provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically.

Ask CFPB includes links or references to third-party resources or content. The CFPB does not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.

Read full answer Hide full answer