How can I reduce my student loan interest rate under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)?

If you are currently serving on active duty, you are eligible to have your interest rate lowered to 6% on all student loans taken out prior to your active duty military service. This benefit applies to both your federal and non-federal (private) student loans and is available for all active duty servicemembers, regardless of where you serve.

To obtain an interest rate reduction under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), contact your servicer and ask about this option directly. You will need to send a written request to your servicer, and will also need to provide your servicer with a copy of your orders calling you on to active duty. You can submit your request anytime during your active duty service and up to 180 days after leaving service.

Contact your Judge Advocate General for assistance. A JAG can help you properly word your request and make sure you meet the technical requirements set forth in the Act. To find the JAG attorney nearest to you, use the Armed Forces Legal Assistance Locator.

Ask CFPB provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically.

Ask CFPB includes links or references to third-party resources or content. The CFPB does not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.

Read full answer Hide full answer