Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

Will I damage my credit score if I do not pay a portion of my bill that I am disputing?


While a card issuer is investigating a dispute, the issuer cannot report your account as delinquent if you have paid the undisputed portion or the minimum amount due. 

The card issuer can report to the credit reporting agency that there is a disputed amount on your bill.

Was this page helpful to you?

Note: Do not include sensitive information like your name, contact information, account number, or social security number in this field.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.