Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

What role does my school play in obtaining student loans?


Your school’s financial aid office is involved in the allocation and disbursement of grant and scholarship aid. 

In order to receive federal grant aid or borrow federal student loans, you (or your family) must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your school’s financial aid office will receive your FAFSA information from the U.S. Department of Education, and then they will tell you about your awards and other options. This is generally referred to as your “financial aid award package.”

You should always seek out grants, scholarships, and other money you don’t have to pay back before turning to loans.

Additionally, the financial aid office can consult on private student loans to see if they have any lenders who offer special rates to students. You may also consult a local credit union or bank.

Was this page helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.