Skip to main content

My payment was returned to me, and the servicer notified me it is no longer servicing my loan. Then I got another notice in the mail saying I was late on my payment, but no one ever notified me that I needed to send my payment somewhere else. What can I do?

If the servicing rights for your loan are sold, your old and new servicers must notify you of the transfer of the servicing rights to your loan.

The notice should disclose to you the date on which your old servicer will stop accepting payments and the date on which your new servicer will begin to accept payments. It should also disclose the new servicer’s name, customer inquiry address, telephone number for an employee or department of the new servicer, and the effective transfer date. Failure to send your payments to the right servicer after you receive notification that the servicing rights on your loan have been sold could result in your payments not being credited properly.

Generally, the entity that is selling the servicing rights must provide you with a notice no less than 15 days before the effective date of the transfer, and your new servicer must deliver a transfer notice not more than 15 days after the effective transfer date. If the two notices are combined, then the combined notice must be delivered to the borrower no less than 15 days before the effective transfer date.

You should also consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the American Bar Association website .

If you never received the servicing transfer notice, you can also file a complaint with the CFPB online or call (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to file a complaint and be connected to a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor.