Skip to main content

About us

We're the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Learn how the CFPB can help you

I want to sell my home, but I can't get enough money in the sale to pay off my mortgage loan. What are my options?


You still may be able to sell your home, if your lender agrees to a short sale. If you choose this option, a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor can help you plan your next steps.

If you live in a state in which you are responsible for any deficiency between the sale price for your home and the amount you still owe on your mortgage loan, you will want to ask your lender to waive the deficiency. If your lender waives the deficiency, get the waiver in writing and keep it.

You should also ask about help with relocation expenses, either under the federal government’s Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) or other programs sometimes called “cash-for-keys.” The deadline to apply for assistance under HAMP is Dec. 30, 2016. To learn more, call the CFPB at (855) 411-CFPB (2372) to be connected to a HUD-approved housing counselor today.

Was this page helpful to you?

Please do not share any personally identifiable information (PII), including, but not limited to: your name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number, account information, or any other information of a sensitive nature.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The CFPB updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.