Student loan affordability
This report analyzes and discusses public comments submitted in response to a Request for Information Regarding an Initiative to Promote Student Loan Affordability published in the Federal Register in February 2013 (Docket ID: CFPB-2013-004). The notice detailed a series of topics and questions to elicit feedback from the public, including:
- How student loan burdens might impact the broader economy;
- How distressed borrowers manage their student loan obligations;
- What options currently exist for borrowers to lower their monthly payments on student loans;
- Examples of successful alternate repayment programs in other markets and which features could
apply to the market for private student loans; and
- The most effective mechanisms for communicating with distressed borrowers.